PDA

View Full Version : Spooky stories

Dark Angel
12-06-2006, 21:59
Another night shift out in the swamps. Just wondering if anyone knows any station related ghost stories or has encountered anything spooky on a RAF camp? Apparently we've got a haunted HAS and I know Halton is reputed to have one or two permenant residents from its hospital days. I'm on my own in the office so scare me if you can.:raf:

SirSaltyHelmet
12-06-2006, 22:05
BOO!!
:PDT_Xtremez_34:

Bet ya crapped yerself

Notsoblunt
12-06-2006, 22:53
Many, many moons ago when Hereford (Credenhill) was still in our hands, there were rumours of a ghost who would patrol the area beyond the hangars at the bottom of the camp. This rumour was no doubt fuelled by having so many young and impressionable trainees running around the training unit at that time.

At night, this part of the camp was regularly covered in fog from the river which ran along the outer border of the military camp area. Additionally, the whole camp had apple trees strewn about everywhere (for making Bulmer's cider!) - and the shapes looked really scary in the mist and gloom.

All was going well with the rumour of the spook on camp, until one night when some recently passed out trade trainees were helping out the regular staff on guard duty. Regular foot patrols were sent out by the SNCO guard commander, and they usually consisted of two personnel - an armed member of the permanent staff and an unarmed trainee.

This particular night in the middle of winter, when the weather was at it's worst and a cold, damp fog shrouded the whole camp, a foot patrol went out around 0200 hours. They patrolled around the edge of the camp, inspecting the chicken wire fence for holes as they went along. All of a sudden they came across a hole in the fence, which measured about 3 feet in length. The armed guard instructed the unarmed trainee to radio back what they had found, only to find that the radio would not transmit. He then told the trainee that he would remain in place whilst the unarmed guard was to run back to the guardroom and report the incident.

Hereford was not a big camp, and the direct route back to the guardroom should have only taken 5 minutes to run at the very most. When nobody had turned up to assist the armed guard after 20 minutes, he began to wonder what was going on. After 30 minutes, he thought he could hear low, gurgling noises coming from close by but could not identify what it could possibly be. A few minutes later, and still with no help having arrived from the rest of the guard force, he heard the strange gurgling noises again - only this time much closer to his position than before. He did not know what the sounds were, but they didn't sound human at all. He really started to get worried at this stage, and slowly started to work his way through the fog towards the sound.

All of a sudden the noise stopped, but by this time the guard thought he had a good idea of the general direction it had been coming from. He continued to creep forward through the murk, until he stumbled over something on the ground which caused him to trip and fall forward. His act of falling must have caught the attention of whatever had been making the noise, because the gurgling sound suddenly started up again - only this time much louder and more urgent.

When the guard regained his composure, he finally managed to find the noise was coming from the unarmed guard who was lying on the ground with blood spewing out of a hole in his neck. The poor guy was obviously very weak and couldn't speak because of the blood coming out of his neck and throat. He was desperately trying to get the attention of the other guard to try and get medical assistance. The armed guard freaked at the sight, and thinking his colleague had been attacked by the ghost, sprinted off in the other direction as fast as he could go. Eventually, he made his way back to the guardroom and reported what he had witnessed. The rest of the guard force then deployed to the area and managed to recover the (now unconscious) guard and get him to the medical centre.

Apparently, as was discovered later, the unarmed guard had initially set off to report the hole in the fence incident as fast as his little legs could carry him. In his haste (or maybe juvenile enthusiasm) the youngster failed to see the root of a tree which he tripped over and banged himself into the tree trunk. Unfortunately for the poor lad, he also managed to impale himself in the neck on a branch as he was falling, and that had caused his horrific injury. However, he eventually managed to make a full recovery - some 5 weeks later.

How do I know all this? I was the guard commander that night!

Spooky enough for you?

Dark Angel
12-06-2006, 23:32
Good but surely someone can do better.

Tigger
13-06-2006, 03:50
Rumour has it that one of the Nimrods is haunted, XV229 if memory serves. One of the riggers apparently saw a face staring back at him one day when he looked in one of the hydraulic bays. Theres been a few other things with it, such as unexplained lights. maybe some of the current Nimrod lads could expand.

tedder13
13-06-2006, 07:15
RAF Wittering ATC has a ghostly pilot that appears in the tower due to a spitfire that collided with the tower during WW2
Whilst at Bruggen HAS 14 had a figure that appeared of worker that got crushed after a section of reinforced concrete fell on him during the building off it,also german troops had been seen on 9 sqn site this was seen by one of the sootie's whilst on swing shift.

Sisyphus
13-06-2006, 08:48
The HAS in the woods at the bottom end of the Southern HAS site (23 Sqn's site when I was first there!) at RAF Leeming was known for its spooks. The rumour was that it was the site of a WW2 crash. Whatever, going there in the dark early hours on the night shift always sent a shiver down the spine. You always felt you were being watched, and not just by the site spy cameras checking up on you. The strange noises might have been explained away by the wind in the trees - but I'm not so sure! Definitely the place to send the new arrivals on their first night shift - oh how we laughed when they came back looking pale and keeping quiet - right up to the point when we had to go down there ourselves........:eek:

firestorm
13-06-2006, 10:29
Ermine street runs through the middle of one of the dispersals at waddington (D or E, I can't remember). Sitting there in the wee small hours is very spooky. Lots of strange noises and the marching of Roman feet!:raf:

Black Puddings
13-06-2006, 11:09
I remember a jolly jape on Albert when the aircraft where on either the wash bay or bays 1-4 at night at Lyneham. It was generally dark with not much lighting and some people thought there was spooky goings on.

When a new lad arrived we used to send him out to open the Main Landing Gear doors but in the mean time somebody else went out and climbed in the MLG bay.
When said new lad opened the small access doors and put his hands in he got the shock of his life............good for the old ticker.

JoJo82
13-06-2006, 14:09
I have some good ghost stories but they are from onboard prior ships. I don’t want to start ranting on so I will ask; do you want to hear one or two?

Plumber
13-06-2006, 14:15
Go on then, I don't have much on this afternoon so it will help pass the time.

garvey
13-06-2006, 15:05
Another night shift out in the swamps. Just wondering if anyone knows any station related ghost stories or has encountered anything spooky on a RAF camp? Apparently we've got a haunted HAS and I know Halton is reputed to have one or two permenant residents from its hospital days. I'm on my own in the office so scare me if you can.:raf:

not on base but reported by an airman:

"In the early years of World War Two I was stationed on an airfield at Oulton in Norfolk. Sometime in the Winter of '41-42 I was walking alone from Aylsham to Oulton Street. The night was very cold but clear. I had just passed [on the B1354] Blickling Hall on my right when to my surprise I suddenly saw a large black dog standing in the middle of the road some few feet from me [probably at c.TG17752850.] As I called to the dog a most peculiar feeling came upon me. The nearest description I can give is that it was a 'nervous tingling.' I advanced towards the animal but as I went forward the animal retreated but without moving its feet, almost as though it was a cardboard 'cut-out' being pulled away from me with strings.
The dog's mouth was open but it made no sound. The animal was not in a belligerent attitude but just seemed to be observing me. I stopped and the dog also ceased its backward motion. After regarding me for maybe ten seconds the animal just completely disappeared. By 'disappeared' I mean that it did not run away but literally 'disappeared.' The night was very clear and I had a good view over the paddocks to my left and right. I could see no dog.
My 'physical sensation' returned to normal but I was convinced that I had seen something not 'quite right.' In those far-off days I was a young practical and very fit serviceman not given to fantasies and on that particular night I had had nothing at all to drink. At that time I had never seen a 'Rottweiler' dog but the first time I saw one reminded me of my peculiar dog meeting."

I mention it only because, 60 years later I had almost the exact same experience on the same stretch of road.:PDT_Xtremez_03:

JoJo82
13-06-2006, 16:22
Call me 'Auntie Albert'!

On my first ship a P.O. had died in his pit after one too many beers, the medics classed it as male ‘cot death’. Anyhow, it was said you could see him wondering down 1 deck in the middle of the night. One night it fell upon me to conduct WE rounds whilst at sea. It was 3am (ish) and I had climbed the ladder from 2deck up to 1 deck, coming through the hatch I noticed some one walking about and into a confined compartment. I quickly followed, only 2 exits and one was locked with a fire hatch and this figure didn’t reemerge at all. I heard footsteps and a voice saying ‘hurry your late on rounds’ but I was the only one around, I then headed out onto the upper deck (considering its pitch black at night in the middle of the ocean and very windy, it can be a little scary). Walking along the upper deck I saw this figure again darting in and out of the shadows, I starting walking fast to catch up and was shouting! I followed it back inside to the wardroom and it disappeared, however I knew exactly what he was wearing, I even saw his branch badge. Safe to say when I had described the man and his clothing, his badge and accent, they confirmed it was the PO who died a few years before.

That put the sh*ts up me for a few weeks!

Bluntend
13-06-2006, 16:54
My memory is a bit sketchy but I recall a story from (I think) Coltishall where a couple of guys on patrol near the hangars during the early hours were met my an officer in his No1s. The airmen instinctively saluted the officer who saluted back and then promtly disappeared. Now, this could be a load of old tosh so if anyone can expand on this story feel free.

Another story that isn't entirely RAF related but I'll recount it all the same was something that happened to my Grandmother a few years ago. She was staying in a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London when one night at around 2am she was awoken by the sensation that someone was sitting on the end of her bed. She cautiously reached for the bedside lamp and switched it on. Low and behold, there in the half light was clearly visible the figure of an old man. Now, my gran was pretty tough and didn't mess around. "Who are you?" she asked. "I'm your husband" came the reply. "Don't be bloody stupid" she said, my husband's been dead for 25 years....". With that she pressed the panic button and in rushed a pair of nurses who were visibly shocked at what they saw. They promptly grabbed Mr Smith from the adjoining ward and dragged the octogenarian perv back to his own bed. It just goes to show that not everything is as spooky as it seems, although it does kind of freak me out that my Gran could still pull way into her eighties...

This story's a bit spooky too:

Freddy Jackson
This intriguing photo( http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/freddy_jackson_lg.jpg ), taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.

garvey
13-06-2006, 17:06
My memory is a bit sketchy but I recall a story from (I think) Coltishall where a couple of guys on patrol near the hangars during the early hours were met my an officer in his No1s. The airmen instinctively saluted the officer who saluted back and then promtly disappeared. Now, this could be a load of old tosh so if anyone can expand on this story feel free.

Another story that isn't entirely RAF related but I'll recount it all the same was something that happened to my Grandmother a few years ago. She was staying in a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London when one night at around 2am she was awoken by the sensation that someone was sitting on the end of her bed. She cautiously reached for the bedside lamp and switched it on. Low and behold, there in the half light was clearly visible the figure of an old man. Now, my gran was pretty tough and didn't mess around. "Who are you?" she asked. "I'm your husband" came the reply. "Don't be bloody stupid" she said, my husband's been dead for 25 years....". With that she pressed the panic button and in rushed a pair of nurses who were visibly shocked at what they saw. They promptly grabbed Mr Smith from the adjoining ward and dragged the octogenarian perv back to his own bed. It just goes to show that not everything is as spooky as it seems, although it does kind of freak me out that my Gran could still pull way into her eighties...

This story's a bit spooky too:

Freddy Jackson
This intriguing photo( http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/freddy_jackson_lg.jpg ), taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.

Bare details only, but here's a host of aviation ghosts:

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/aviation/pages/avdata.php?pageNum_paradata=0&totalRows_paradata=93

Dark Angel
13-06-2006, 18:30

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/av..._paradata=9 3

Great site, just wish there were more details.

My personal encounter happened during basic training at Halton. The females from my flight were housed on the top floor of barrack block 7. It was just after lights out one night and everyone was tucked up in bed, we all heard the door (which is too heavy to be affected by even strong wind), then a voice which we all assumed was a female NCO from another flight demanded to know if all our girls were present, the senior woman replied from her bed that we were all there and was challenged again at which point she got up to see who it was only to find the door closed (we hadn't heard it shut) and nobody around. The next day we asked the girls in the room opposite if they'd heard anything, we were shocked to find they'd had the same thing happen two nights before. Rumour has it that that block is haunted by a nurse that used to work there.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

FootTapper
14-06-2006, 07:58
I mention it only because, 60 years later I had almost the exact same experience on the same stretch of road.:PDT_Xtremez_03:

since it's an east anglian thing...

Try doing a search on "black shuck" it's the black dog/ghost/thing that's been sighted all over east anglia (especially the coast) for many years - there's even a church on the coast with big gouge marks and scorch marks on the door to this day...

shettie
14-06-2006, 09:36
Leuchars Medical Centre... Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up... Spent a week in there, sufferring from glandular fever - late on in the week, feeling bit better so - the 3 "inmates" and the medics decided on a game of monopoly... All the occupants in the (locked and secured!) building were in the one room - so who the hell was walking about downstairs opening the doors and going into the bunker annex of the med center? Scare the living poo out of all of us! Apparently this happened on a regular basis - never found out who's footsteps they were...

Another - anyone at Bruggen in the late 80's who remembers the incident when the Cpl was at a navaid building on the airfield and saw a headless man in full 50's flying kit? There must be a plod out there who does - you lot wouldn't go anywhere near the place unless there was a fill IRF team!

firestorm
14-06-2006, 09:41
....or check out the book "Ghost Stations" by former RAFP Bruce Barrymore-Halfpenny. Spooky!:PDT_Xtremez_42:

garvey
14-06-2006, 09:45
since it's an east anglian thing...

Try doing a search on "black shuck" it's the black dog/ghost/thing that's been sighted all over east anglia (especially the coast) for many years - there's even a church on the coast with big gouge marks and scorch marks on the door to this day...

http://www.shuckland.co.uk/blickling.htm

the last item on that page is my own account

The Masked Geek
14-06-2006, 10:08
Had an odd, if not RAF related, incident the other day.

My nephew was sat on the "naught step" after some misdemeanor and we heard him chatting away to someone.

Once he had spent his alloted time on the step, we brought him back in the living-room and asked who he had been talking to. "My great granddad David" was the reply.

David had died around six months earlier and my nephew is only 2 so I don't think he had the mental capacity to make it up.

MyShineyAr$e
14-06-2006, 10:50
Was a scaley brat in my youth and on one of my old mans postings was to a place called Carver Barracks in Wimbish, Nr Saffron Walden. Now this Army Camp used to have an active Airfield attached to it. Not sure from what sort of era, but nether the less a couple of spooky occurences. Paranormal, Supernatural or a childs over active imagination, you decide.

1. Whilst playing on the airfield at night one of my mates noticed some light coming from one of the old airfield bunkers. Curious to see who else might be on the airfield at this time of the night we made our way over, with the intention of sneaking up and having a gander without whoever it was noticing us. As we got closer we could hear voices were the light was. To get into the bunker we had to move out of the line of sight of the light but only for a second or so. By the time we were in the bunker, there was no light and no voices. There were 5 or 6 of us there that night and we all saw/heard something. Needless to say we didn't hang around long once our imaginations slipped into overdrive.

2. Same unit, but months later another 'strange' occurence. Whilst playing football outside the Gym on a Sunday we became aware of noises coming from inside the Gym. Now we thought the Gym was locked up with it being a Sunday, so we went to have alook incase someone was having a game of 5-aside that we could join in on. We got to the main entrance, Locked. We walked around to the side entrance, Locked. We walked around to the fire escape and looked through the glass. Nobody in the sports hall, but a Basketball was rolling across the floor......

MyShineyAr$e
14-06-2006, 11:01
Just remembered another one. Not me, but my folks both had a strange experience when we lived in Cyprus (one of my old mans postings).

One day whilst living in Ypsonas near Episkopi, my Dad recieved the bad news that his Gran (my great gran) had passed away. The day after we were sat having lunch when my mum commented on a strange 'dream' that she had had. She spoke of dreaming that she had woken in the night to see someone stood by the bedroom door in a red dress or coat. When my dad heard this he admitted to having the same 'dream'. He dreamt that he had woken to see someone stood by the bedroom door wearing red. He went to the bedroom to look behind the door but there was nothing red there. We went back to the UK for the funeral a few days later. Whilst with some family the conversation turned to how and where Gran had died. It turned out that she had passed away whilst sleeping at the care home she was resident of. She was wearing a long red night dress!!!!!!!

Stax
14-06-2006, 13:06
Think I may have mentioned this one before.

Upstairs in the Airmens mess at Scampers is meant to be haunted. We were discussing it with the chef one swing breakfast (0300), when a couple of coppers started scoffing at us. In order to disprove us, the dog handler of the pair got his German Shepherd out of the landrover and attempted to take it upstairs. It got as far as the little landing that turns left and wouldn't go any further, hackles up, low growl the works! We beat a hasty retreat and no more was said by the RAFP guys. Still makes my hair stand up on end to this day!

Dark Angel
14-06-2006, 19:23
Didn't think I'd be bothered by any of these stories until last night. bit of a quiet night shift so at midnight I decided to go to the gym. The place was totally empty as you'd expect at that time and to begin with I didn't think anything of it but after a few minutes I started to notice every sound and thinking I could see something move (my own reflection in the windows and tv screens mostly). Needless to say I finished my training session as quickly as possible and got the hell out of there before I saw anything to be really scared of:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Next time I'm not going on my own.

theladf
14-06-2006, 21:18
Whilst working in the aforementioned HAS, with an erstwhile sooty J/T who might have been called Wiggy doing a left hand gearbox change (tonka sooties will sit up in astonishment at that! left hand gearboxes never go wrong! spooky) when there was a commotion of a metallic nature crashing and banging from the bowser annexe attached to the HAS. We stopped what we were doing, looked at each other, and then carried on, it being late night/early hours we decided to finish the job and get the hell out of there. Before leaving the HAS however curiosity got the better of us and we decided to investigate the annexe, we found nothing, a few aircraft armed signs and some drip trays, no evidence that anything was out of place or had fallen of racking, being as we had expected to find some logical explanation this was slightly purturbing, so we locked the HAS and scarpered. To this day I haven't got a clue what caused the noise.

On a similar Germany thread, I had a mate who was at Wildenrath on 60 sqn, (Pembrokes and Andovers I think) and following the deaths of several members of the RAF Central Band on the autobahn, 60's hangar was used as a makeshift morgue prior to returning the bodies to the UK. During this time and subsequently this hangar took on a sinister aura (according to said mate) lights would switch themselves on and of, footsteps voices etc, and police dogs left in there overnight went nuts. does anyone have any evidence to support this or other such tales?

fat lazy techie
16-06-2006, 19:10
Rumour has it that the role bay at Lyneham is somewhat haunted. Not had any supernatural experiences there myself though.

Mug?
16-06-2006, 22:04
My only real experience was on exercise in yoxter(? I think)
A feature of the site was lots of crater like earthworks-we were told this was an ancient burial site and to be carefull were we dug.
Was our first night on our own after a few nights of nav ex,demos etc, We had spent the day digging our trenches (carefully to avoid upsetting the dead) putting out the comms, setting up the HQ and our bivvies and dealing with the odd inject. We were pretty much set for the long night. It soon became dark,cold and with a typical hollywood eairie fog. My replacement had not turned up so I climbed out and went off to fetch him. Just the spooky starlight and the lack of much sleep to guide me. I had to guide him back to our trench, mainly cos he was a bif! As I turned to go they told me to be careful and not to get caught by the ghosts... at exactly the same time I felt someone grab my back. s#!t me right up but nobody there they laughed it off thinking I was winding them up....I headed off to my bivvy shaking.

As I walked i became aware of faint rustling off to my side and then from behind me. Everytime I turned round it would suddenly stop. I did this a few times until I thought it must have been one of the lads follwing me trying to scare me. So got down and waited for them a good 3-4 minutes and all was deathly silent... then I heard the lads arguing off in the distance( bad drills I know). Starting to get scared hoping to god it was an inject, I started to move back towards the trench to raise the alarm. As soon as I moved I felt someone pull at my jetpacks and in the darkness saw some branches move a metre off to my side and some more a few metres to the front between me and the trench with no sign of anyone there....I ran back to the trench as fast as I could and the rustling and grabbing branches got louder and louder and closer and closer to me. I shouted toward the trench for them to call for help. but when I got there they were panicing cos the radio battery was dead and the field telephone had disappeared and we had no way of calling for help. I tried to dive in the trench but something yanked me to the ground........

We found the phone later all tangled up in a bush a few metres away, but still attached to the line, which was also still attached and pulling at my webbing where it must have gotten tangled up and dragged all over our site behind me after dropping my oppo off at the trench, causing all the ghostly events

We had a bit of a laugh about it after but were glad to get out of there:PDT_Xtremez_42: .

Dark Angel
26-06-2006, 22:34
Hi guys been on leave for a week bacause my husbands been sent to a sandy place at short notice.
So it's night shift in the swamps again, time for some more tales of terror.

Before I joined up I had a part time job in the kitchen of a small pub come hotel. Basically I ran around after the chefs and washed up, sh#t but the pay wasn't half bad for a kid at college. Anyway one day after lunchtime service the chefs had gone home the pub was closed and the only other staff was the manageress in the bar, I was in the kitchen on my own cleaning surfaces, sweeping and stuff. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone stood at the open kitchen door, as I turned to see what they wanted I found they'd gone, I went out in the bar area to see who it was and on finding her alone asked the manageress if she'd seen anyone, she told me that the doors were locked and we were the only ones there. Slightly confused she asked me what the person looked like, I described the man and what he was wearing at which point her expression changed to one of concern, she then informed me the man I had seen was the previous landlord (father of the current one) who had had a heart attack in the cellar about 15years earlier. we both finished our cleaning and left together as niether of us wanted to be in there on our own. :PDT_Xtremez_08:

Dark Angel
28-06-2006, 20:55
Come on guys theres got to be more ghostly tales around.
I'm SERIOUSLY bored, I'm techie stuck covering an admin job for about 6 months and I've never been so bored in my life. Please someone brighten up my day before I have to resort to re-organising the filing system. :PDT_Xtremez_34:

Shinyscot
28-06-2006, 21:39
Whilst working nights alone, about 3am I heard a loud bang and somebody cry out in pain. I carried out a check of the building, it was completely empty. Scared the s**t out of me, spoke to my oppo next day, was told it was a regular occurence most months

rest have risen above me
28-06-2006, 22:21
To this day I haven't got a clue what caused the noise.

What about the key orderly...lol or was it a Fri and maybe the NF was open outside Has 15...LOL

JoJo82
29-06-2006, 00:30
Not about bases etc but visit the site www.goldysghosts.co.uk and you will find a good few invesitagations that may give you a cold shiver. And yes I did take part in them!

Dark Angel
29-06-2006, 23:36
Heres another military related story including a pretty un-nerving picture
http://www.ghostresearch.org/ghostpics/watertown.html

katinthehat
14-07-2006, 14:19
In case anyone is interested, there is a series of books called

"Ghost Stations"

about haunted Airfields in Lincolnshire.
Just thought that might appeal!

Kat.

mad_collie
14-07-2006, 14:51
Think I may have mentioned this one before.

Upstairs in the Airmens mess at Scampers is meant to be haunted. We were discussing it with the chef one swing breakfast (0300), when a couple of coppers started scoffing at us. In order to disprove us, the dog handler of the pair got his German Shepherd out of the landrover and attempted to take it upstairs. It got as far as the little landing that turns left and wouldn't go any further, hackles up, low growl the works! We beat a hasty retreat and no more was said by the RAFP guys. Still makes my hair stand up on end to this day!

I work in that building now Stax, and on quite a few occasions the intruder detection system has alarmed for no reason. There is a story kicking about that it is a Dutch Airman that haunts the place . . . . :eek:

shiny_arse
14-07-2006, 15:13
A long long time ago I used to work at Hillingdon House at RAF Uxbridge when it was HQ MATO. It was an old manor house with the grand staircase at the front and the old rickety servants hidden at the back. This place has loads of history and there was a book detailing how a young maid who used to work there could be seen at the top of the grand staircase. Not a lot of people used to work late complaining of noises and changes in temperature throughout the building. One night coming back from the Yank Bar (ah a social joy from the past) I was walking past and head a radio on in one of the offices. On turning to enter the building I swear I heard a scream. Now, not being so cocky about going into the building I instead took a wander to the guardroom and was informed by the staff that the patrols refused to go into place at night and would only do container checks during early evening or first thing in the morning. Additionally the RAFP Dog patrols would go skitzo anywhere near the entrance to the cellar doors. Lovely building, great job but after sunset NO CHANCE

theladf
14-07-2006, 18:25
What about the key orderly...lol or was it a Fri and maybe the NF was open outside Has 15...LOL

I seem to recall it being a thursday Night and I would have heard the rover turning up if it was the key orderly, cos no key orderly with the full range of MT available would be ar*ed to walk out to HAS 14!

Bill Bones
04-12-2006, 06:26
Brodie Block, Lossie

I've woken up - stone cold sober - and seen my patrol sack floating around the room, on two separate occaisions. I also remember haveing a chat with a bunch of airmen and matelots who were sleeping on the deck next to my bed, until one of my mates asked me who the fark I was talking to. There were only four of us in the room, all on beds in each corner (Bog-Standard Transit Block room).

Anyone had similar

mad_mo
04-12-2006, 08:59
In case anyone is interested, there is a series of books called

"Ghost Stations"

about haunted Airfields in Lincolnshire.
Just thought that might appeal!

Kat.

Did anyone watch " Most Haunted " sometime back. It was centered around a former RAF base in Lincolnshire I think?.

JoKing
04-12-2006, 09:15
Carrying on from tiggers comment XV229 is allegedly haunted but only when it’s on bay 1 a few people have seen apparitions on board, still gives everybody the creeps when you have to go and work on it in the early hours.

lindz_2487
04-12-2006, 15:11
There's a building in RAF linton on ouse that the glider people stay at. Is EXTREMLY scary in there :PDT_Xtremez_21:

It was only on saturday night when we were all messing about, 1 group of us where waiting in the hall way, while the others (including me) were outside. the first group were waiting to scare us when we went into the building (which wasn't funny coz i well hate staying there!)

anyway i looked over to the toilet area and saw 2 black figures in there, thinking it was the other group. about 2 seconds later all the lads ran out saying they heard screaming from the toilets and there wasnt actaully any of them in there. as i looked back over there the figures had vanished. freaked us out a bit lol

Theres also been a load more stories about this place including a burning woman...not the best place to stay the night really! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Dark Angel
28-02-2007, 23:39
Well I'm back in the swamps and its night shift again so has anyone got any more tales of the unexplained for me?

Got a phone call from a friend at the weekend who'd just moved into a farm and saw a nurse in the stable with what he said looked like a RAF hat on. Anyone got any pics of old RAF nurses uniforms? Looked on the web but can't find any.

penfold93
01-03-2007, 00:23
Well I'm back in the swamps and its night shift again so has anyone got any more tales of the unexplained for me?

Got a phone call from a friend at the weekend who'd just moved into a farm and saw a nurse in the stable with what he said looked like a RAF hat on. Anyone got any pics of old RAF nurses uniforms? Looked on the web but can't find any.

In the old days nurses did not wear a hat as such but wore a 'veil' which is sort of diamond shaped or the hat now would be three pointed or a ' tricorn' hat.

In my time at Halton saw many a strange things at the hospital and heard loads of weird stories. The best one for me was the old IHMT Trg Building which was the burns and plastics ward during WWII, the ward opened onto a huge conservatory/balcony onto which the beds would be pushed during the day to help the airmen get some fresh air (and probably because the wounds from burns tend to be a tad wiffy). Anyway when I was on guard we would do a foot patrol to the area of the building (which was a long way from main camp) and would find all the windows open, this would be normal if it had not been a Saturday and the fact that the balcony had been condemed and no one was supposed to go out there. Called it in on the Storno (non-combatant weapon of choice as the ariels stung like hell if you hit a terrorist with them) and a couple of 'Snowies' turned up and secured the building. After completion of patrol returned to GFHQ and another roving patrol dispatched. 1 hour later patrol reported all the windows open again. P***ed off scuffers go up secure windows etc. After 3rd time they refused to go in the building. Dont blame them as a hacked of ghost nurse is nearly as bad as a living one (and probably better looking).
If you want to see the building in qustion get the film 'Boys from Brazil' (its about cloning Hitler) and its used in that.
Apparently the ghosts of the Aircrew were not impressed by having Nazi uniforms around and made their displeasure known.:PDT_Xtremez_17: :PDT_Xtremez_42:

beer
01-03-2007, 21:56
"There's a building in RAF linton on ouse that the glider people stay at. Is EXTREMLY scary in there" (Quote)

The ATC Tower at Linton has a well documented ghost. When I was there in 1974 there was an incident when one of the girls went up the stairs in the tower and the figure of a young man was standing on the stairs and when she looked away and back again the figure had gone!

A "Spook Finder" was called in and it would appear that the figure is allegedly a young man who was killed just outside the tower in the early 1950's. He was run over by a bowser that he never saw coming due to the aircraft noise. It appears that he does not realise that he is dead!

Never mind the tower though - the liney hut was full of zombies, werewolves, Herman Munsters and a Flt Sgt! :PDT_Xtremez_17:

dunbar1983
01-03-2007, 23:26
One of my snco's was recounting tales from his tour at Pitreavie Castle. He said he was duty bod one night and had to check the building was secure.He walked past the officers mess bar and got chatting to an officer in there, he said he was going to check the top floor was secure and would be back soon. While he was up there he was looking at the paintings on the wall of all the old harry staish's, he noticed that one was the gentleman he had been talking to downstairs and this staish was during the 40-50's and this was now the 80's. When he got back down stairs the officer had gone, he didnt stay in the building long after that!! lol

Green Flash
02-03-2007, 19:15
Lintons' ghost(s) are well known. I used to spend many night shifts in the tower block in the early 80's and after a while I stopped ringing the gaurdroom when the doors started banging and the boots could be heard on the stairway.

There was one Friday afternoon, however, when dozens of us saw 'something' in broad daylight. The last wave (JP's) was down and from behind the end hanger someone on an old bike pedalled steadily down the short runway. The end of that runway went nowhere, just fields. His greatcoat was flapping in the wind - a stonking westerly that was hard to stand up in (indeed we had been using the short runway most of the day because of the gale), but he was making good progress as though the wind went straight through. We all saw him; lineys, ATC, Met, Fire Section, Ground radio, etc. The scuffers went out, with a dog, but couldn't find anyone.

Dragoon
02-03-2007, 23:50
Not strictly a ghost story, but certainly spooky (for the two of us there anyway)

A few years ago, at Sennybridge training grounds, me and another lad were out on fire piquet in the early hours of the morning.
We were wandering around a small farm where all the troops were sleeping. After quite a while, I noticed lots of small red and white lights moving down and across the skyline. Some would move around, then dissapear, then another would come on again, but they all seemed to be staying in the same area.
Judging by where they were in relation to the skyline, it appeared they were on a hill, but (on looking again in the morning) the nearest hill was probably 10 miles away in that particular direction.

By now I was getting a bit nervous, and the bloke with me was getting quite visibly shaken, he wanted to go back into the barn, but I wanted to watch some more.

Then a larger white light came on, casting a small beam across the area where the other lights were moving around, then it went out after a moment.
After ten minutes or so of this light show, they all blinked out, and that was that.

I asked the guys who relplaced me on the next shift if they had seen anything, but they didnt.
The only thing I could rationalised it as was people running around on the hills with those right angle torches, but as the nearest hill was many miles off, it didnt seem likely that the beams of those torches could travel that far.

asgaard
07-03-2007, 23:58
ESG at BZN, last 2 racks, theres a cold spot. Don't know who, how or why. But it's definetly odd down there after dark.

Douglas Bader's Right Leg
17-12-2007, 16:23
Ah nothing like an old thread rising up from the grave...

Bentley Priory Officers' Mess has three recorded ghosts; Queen Adelaide is reported to be seen on the same night every year in the VIP Suite (it should be easy to verify that one!); a small boy who died in the place when it was a stately home is reported to roam the corridors and you can see his white marble tomb from the snooker room which is quite spooky. My personal favourite however is the chap in WW2 flying rig seen wandering the lower corridor of the mess, presumably on his way to the bar for a last G&T!

I didn't see anything during my time there, but there were plenty of stories and walking from the aptly named crypt bar up through the house to the annex was a thoroughly unnerving experience at 2am after a skinful.

A friend of mine claimed to have been woken up in the middle of the night at Coltishall Officers' Mess by someone trying to remove his bed clothes. That might have been an angry WRAF however.

pueblos
17-12-2007, 17:05
Nice Thread, thought I would add Freddy Jackson...

http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/freddy_jackson_lg.jpg

This intriguing photo, taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.

denthemen
17-12-2007, 17:25
I'm sure I've told this one somewhere on here.....

At Coningsby on 29's HAS sight we used to have a ghost we called Harry the B'stard. Many a story of two people working in a HAS, once up on the spine of a Phantom, facing each other, and one of them gets a strong tap on the shoulder. On turning round, there's no-one there......

Now I know it's an old trick to start a houchin up in the dark (we used to do it at Wilders when the power sets were outside down the side of the old style HAS's (lay on top in the dark and start it up as the chap who just shut it down walks away!!) but Harry used to shut them down, turn them back on again and excite the buggers just for a laugh! We knew it was him because we thought it was someone playing a trick so we rushed out the front of the HAS through the big doors to catch them coming out the annex - shame no-one came out though.........

Good old Harry - wonder if he's still there.....:PDT_Xtremez_09:

TrenchardsLoveSock
17-12-2007, 17:28
The bloke 7th from the left (not including Freddy) looks like scary as hell too!

Former Albert Sooty
17-12-2007, 19:17
I seem to remember being told that one of the Hercs at Lyneham was haunted. I think it was XV222 and if it was parked on bay 4 or 5. Only a vague recolection, so I may be wrong. :S

Bitburger
17-12-2007, 19:23
Bay four is haunted at Lyneham, Sausage2 will not go out to that bay in the dark.

(come to think of it, he won't go out to any of the bays, but that is because he is a lazy tw@t (tw@t))

metimmee
17-12-2007, 19:59
Heard a story about a 92 Sqn HAS in RAFG in which the linie serviced a jet, to come back to control only to be told that the jet he was looking for had crashed some time before. When they went back to the HAS it was empty. Maybe Wobbly can confirm this?

I have a ghost story of my own though...

Just settling down to sleep in the student nurse's accomodation in Grimsby for the night. My then girlfriend, now wife, was in front of me in bed. I was against the wall, crunched up in the single bed.

As a drifted off to sleep, I could see something in front of my girlfriend. I said "There is somebody in here!". As I said that, a figure stood up and walked backwards before dissappearing through the wall. He looked llike Tommy in pinball wizard, and was naked.

I sh@t myself! After a few minutes I calmed myself down and reasoned it out by thinking that I must have been dreaming since I was falling asleep. The next day my girlfriend says to me, "Metimmee, I have something to say. I believe you; I saw exactly the same thing 2 weeks ago! I didnt want to tell you because I thought you'd take the p!ss". :PDT_Xtremez_42:

lisab
17-12-2007, 20:10
Ok heres my contribution....Quite a few years ago now I was on a nightshift in the telephone exchange at Coltishall (yes it was THAT long ago we still had PBX manned by service people!!) anyhoo the exchange was in SHQ and all the shineys had gone home, it was about 2am when I heard a thud then a kind of scraping noise coming from upstairs, thinking it was the coppers doing their checks I rang the guard room to speak to the duty plod only to be told they had done their checks hours ago so at this point I demanded they send a nice policeman over immediately as there was someone upstairs in SHQ!! Nice policeman arrived a few minutes later and checked around upstairs whilst me being a girly wuss stayed locked in the exchange making a brew, when he came downstairs he said rolling his eyes at the pathetic scardy cat that was me that there was nothing there, when a BANG THUD SCRAPE came from upstairs!!! Hence to say the copper went white as a sheet and did his nightshift in the exchange that night as there was no way I was staying there on my own!!

FOMz
17-12-2007, 20:19
XzUYdiYFnwE&rel

dennis6111
18-12-2007, 19:41
When I was a kid back in the 70's my old man was a ch/tech and we we're doing a turn at RAF Swanton Morley (before it turned to the dark side)

We lived in an new RAF Bungalow in the Bedingfield Est in the village. When we first moved in the place was as spooky as hell. Even the dog won't go up the bedroom end. Even guests noticed the strange feeling

The house was always cold even in the hot summers of the mid 70's. Next doors identical house was warm and cosy

Apparently, so the old farmer across the road said, the bungalow was built on an old ponds where a child had drowned many years earlier

Anyway, the old man decide to see if his kit still worked and my mother became pregnant.

Strange thing was, the day my sister came home from RAF Hospital Ely ,only a few days old, the eerie feeling disappeared overnight.

There is also a ghost seen wondering around St Athen near where the MT & stores are. My Uncle ,also a chief, reckoned it was the Ghost of a AEF pilot who crashed his Chipmunk

needsabiggerfuse
18-12-2007, 21:03
A tree at Swanton Morley was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a hanged highwayman. The fact that one stormy day a branch from aforementioned tree came crashing down did little to dispel this story.

'Owd Shuck, a ferkin' huge black hound dog with firey red eyes was also rumoured to run and down the lanes at the back of the airfield.

Oh yes. One night, doing keys, I nearly sh@t myself. Someone had left one of those inflatable skeletons sitting at their desk.

Ex-Bay
18-12-2007, 21:21

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/aviation/pages/avdata.php?pageNum_paradata=0&totalRows_paradata=93

The first one mentioned (the Lincoln Bomber), was later revealed by local TV to have been a hoax, set up by two of the local Volunteers.
During its run, the story (and the tape) were positively identified as being the starting sequence switches.

But it made a good story -both times

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Ex-Bay
18-12-2007, 21:32
Whilst working in the aforementioned HAS, with an erstwhile sooty J/T who might have been called Wiggy doing a left hand gearbox change (tonka sooties will sit up in astonishment at that! left hand gearboxes never go wrong! spooky) when there was a commotion of a metallic nature crashing and banging from the bowser annexe attached to the HAS. We stopped what we were doing, looked at each other, and then carried on, it being late night/early hours we decided to finish the job and get the hell out of there. Before leaving the HAS however curiosity got the better of us and we decided to investigate the annexe, we found nothing, a few aircraft armed signs and some drip trays, no evidence that anything was out of place or had fallen of racking, being as we had expected to find some logical explanation this was slightly purturbing, so we locked the HAS and scarpered. To this day I haven't got a clue what caused the noise.

Bruggen was also reputed to have "strange goings-on" on one of the Revetments at the top of the hill. It was a sort-of "something isn't right" feeling, and not being of a brave disposition (as well as not wanting to look too stupid), I managed to keep well away. I do know that it wasn't a place to hang about when leaving the Motor Club.

:PDT_Xtremez_42:

shoutingwind
18-12-2007, 21:46
Great site, just wish there were more details.

My personal encounter happened during basic training at Halton. The females from my flight were housed on the top floor of barrack block 7. It was just after lights out one night and everyone was tucked up in bed, we all heard the door (which is too heavy to be affected by even strong wind), then a voice which we all assumed was a female NCO from another flight demanded to know if all our girls were present, the senior woman replied from her bed that we were all there and was challenged again at which point she got up to see who it was only to find the door closed (we hadn't heard it shut) and nobody around. The next day we asked the girls in the room opposite if they'd heard anything, we were shocked to find they'd had the same thing happen two nights before. Rumour has it that that block is haunted by a nurse that used to work there.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

I remember that DA- scary stuff!!! and all the foot steps upstair when there was no-one up there

Rikster
19-12-2007, 14:57
HAS 21 at Gut, the one with the graves of Russian POW's from WWII behind it.

I used to fnuckin hate going up there on swing shift, I'd do the fastest BF's in the History of the Harrier Force.

dgw202
09-01-2008, 19:01
Someone else has mentioned Bentley Priory, which reminded me of my experience. I was on nights in the PBX in one of the deserted offices blocks (bldg 263 I think) The offices had been cleared as the building work for the new adjacent bunker was causing too much noise and mess. The building was completely empty and the only people left working in there were the PBX staff. I had to put the milk bottles out by the front door (I know, the glamour of it all...) so I walked through the dark, empty corridors into the entrance hall which had a staircase to the upper floors and the big double main doors. I unlocked the doors and put the bottles out. As I went to shut the door I froze as I knew someone was behind me watching. I locked the door but could not turn round, I stood there absolutely petrified. I had to move, so stepped back and ran from the entrance hall. As I turned I saw, standing at the bottom of the stairs, an officer in what I can only describe as WWII uniform staring straight ahead. I practically jumped down the entire staircase into the basement, locked the door and called the MOD copper. He came and had a look round, but could find no one. Even thinking about it now, 20 years later it scares me.
There are so many stories about that place, I pity the people who will buying the flats and houses when it's all redeveloped later this year!

Cooheed
09-01-2008, 20:16
RAF Honington families club has it's fair share of spooks who generally appear to the bar staff at locking up time when the punters have gone. I came across a RAF Officer twice who was never there on second glance. Some of the barmaids would never lock up on their own. Reckoned they are from a crew that crashed on the approach in WW2 just before the club.

roverboy
10-01-2008, 09:35
The HAS in the woods at the bottom end of the Southern HAS site (23 Sqn's site when I was first there!) at RAF Leeming was known for its spooks. The rumour was that it was the site of a WW2 crash.

Leeming is well documented for it's ghost stories. The fact that most of them seem to centre around the 23/11 Sqn HAS sites (the HAS closest to the wood in particular) could be down to the fact that there is a large mound on the corner of the ring road junction. This mound is at the end of the intersecting runway and has been documented as the place where many Canadian airmen & aircrew would have died in bombers that crashlanded returning back from missions over Germany during WW2. I believe that it is a designated war grave now.

CRYSTALTIPS
10-01-2008, 11:09
Call me 'Auntie Albert'!

On my first ship a P.O. had died in his pit after one too many beers, the medics classed it as male ‘cot death’. Anyhow, it was said you could see him wondering down 1 deck in the middle of the night. One night it fell upon me to conduct WE rounds whilst at sea. It was 3am (ish) and I had climbed the ladder from 2deck up to 1 deck, coming through the hatch I noticed some one walking about and into a confined compartment. I quickly followed, only 2 exits and one was locked with a fire hatch and this figure didn’t reemerge at all. I heard footsteps and a voice saying ‘hurry your late on rounds’ but I was the only one around, I then headed out onto the upper deck (considering its pitch black at night in the middle of the ocean and very windy, it can be a little scary). Walking along the upper deck I saw this figure again darting in and out of the shadows, I starting walking fast to catch up and was shouting! I followed it back inside to the wardroom and it disappeared, however I knew exactly what he was wearing, I even saw his branch badge. Safe to say when I had described the man and his clothing, his badge and accent, they confirmed it was the PO who died a few years before.

That put the sh*ts up me for a few weeks!

Dont suppose your on about HMS Campbeltown? I used to be on there as a WOM (C) 1 and many a night i had to scrub 1 deck flats crapping my pants that i might see this PO over my shoulder!

garfield70
05-03-2008, 15:13
a couple of years ago I was working as a contractor for IBM Greenock. I was staying in a guesthouse between Greenock and Gurrock. The house was a fine Georgian Villa that had belonged to the Tate & Lyle family (no puns please!) and had been a billet for WRVNS during WWII. I had a nice big room with Bay window and on suite bathroom. I had only been there a couple of days and one morning I woke up at about 0500 and the bathroom light was on, I could hear someone making a lot of noise in there(again, no comedians please!) ,the room was absolutely freezing cold(admittedly, I am in Scotland and it is early morning - but this was ice cold).
naturally I was slightly reluctant to get out of bed!! I did and checked the radiator - nice and toasty- the bathroom was empty. I told the Manager at breakfast of my strange morning and he asked if I’d seen anything? apparently guests normally see a girl stood by their bed (no sniggering at the back..). needless to say I got moved to a different room... I still had many sleepless nights for the rest of my stay

one of my temp jobs from Uni was a Security Guard at a GirlsBoarding School in the East Riding (unfortunately the school had closed a couple of years previously!). basically there was a porter’s lodge where the security post was - and an old Jacobean hall with stables and school buildings round a quadrangle. all this set in a few acres of grounds. just to top it off, the site ajoined the Churchyard!!!! the guard job was to patrol the site at regular intervals making sure you covered the whole site, to make sure you did this you had a timeclock and there were keys positioned at various points(usually the darkest pant-wetting-ist places!!) around the site so you would have to go to that point and turn a key... an inspector from Head Office would turn up randomly to check the timeclock (usually at about 0230 when you were having a crafty J. Arthur or catching some ZZZ's). The other guards said there was a ghost called 'Matilda' in the old Hall - naturally I thought they were trying to put the jeepers up me.

after a few weeks the only two slightly unnerving things were the sound of horses hooves that I could sometimes hear down by the old Jacobean hall, and the library building (a squat brick building with no windows and a recessed glass door that for some reason I would walk very quickly past and try not to look into the door whenever passing....

one night I was patrolling by the old hall where a cobbled roadway runs between two tall gate posts to where the old stables were....... when I heard a clock-clock-clock like horses hooves really loudly - hairs on back of neck were up - legs like jelly - expecting to see Anne Bl**** Boleyn in her coach headless when I looked to the source of the noise... It was a nice fat partridge sat atop one of the gateposts doing its clock-clock warning call....

'There is more in heaven and earth than meets your philosophy horatio'

DE Scumbag
05-03-2008, 15:59
HAS 26 at Bruggen, the one that had some aircrew guy bang out within the HAS. (Ouch)

That was so spooky the made it into the Weapon Load HAS so that no-one had to go in at night!

mickeyccfc
05-03-2008, 19:32
Gütersloh HAS 21 gets it for me. Hated working in there and like Rikster say those Russian Graves gave everyone the creeps!!

FuntimeSteve
05-03-2008, 21:06
Slightly off topic.

Where i live in leeds is built on old farmland and during the time my parents were getting divorced i had a lot of odd stuff go on in that place. We used to get stuff happen before that but not as frequent and thankfully i haven't experienced anything in a while, touch wood.

Anyway, we had footsteps going up and down the stairs at all hours of the day. I was sitting upstairs one day and i heard sumat fall in the sink, investigated and it was a spoon which scared the crap out of me as id just washed up!
My mum does mobile hairdressing and was washing a clients hair in the sink which is next to the kitchen window and out the corner of her eye saw someone watching her through the glass! Shes seen someone moving outside the back door as well.
My sis was closing the curtains once and saw some black figure stood behind her out the corner of her eye ive never herd anyone scream like that before!
The ones that happened to myself, I had someone sit on my legs whilst i was asleep and when i jumped up nothing was there. Ive had a female voice shout my name loudly in my ear when i was nodding off as well (which is rare for me to have a woman shout my name), didnt sleep much that night! A lot of times id be in the house alone happily monging on the pc and id get the feeling i wasnt alone out of nowhere randomly and id go all cold.

Anyway, parents seperated and the mood became better in the house and these kinda things stopped. We recon its one of the old farmers as the farm was around for years. There was an airfield 2 minutes from my house that was there during WW1 and used by Vickers i believe. The factorys still around and is now a tesco. If what was going on has anything to do with the airfield i dont know, havnt looked into it. It was at Seacroft if anyone knows anything?

Ex-Bay
05-03-2008, 21:12
I have some good ghost stories but they are from onboard prior ships. I don’t want to start ranting on so I will ask; do you want to hear one or two?

Yes please

4mastacker
05-03-2008, 21:41
When I was living in the Sgts Mess at Marham I walked past one of the mess store-rooms and saw a tall man in a black coat and a top hat. The hair on the back of my neck stood up and when I looked back in the room he had gone. I mentioned this to Stevie the Rock.. and he had seen the same man, only this time the man in the black coat had sat down next him while he was having his late meal in the supper room. When Stevie turned to speak to the guy, he wasn't there. Another liver-in had been watching tv in the ante-room when the man walked into the room. Ned had seen the man's reflection in the window glass as he entered but when he turned round, the man was gone but Ned never saw him leave the room. This all happened in the space of a few days in the early nineties. I've never had the desire to return to Marham to find out if these "visits" still happen.

Killer Queen
05-03-2008, 22:04
Reading all of these has reminded me of a night I spent at RAF Finningley 14 years ago wher eI spent an entire night lsitening to ghost stories before going on a navigation flight.

Shame I cannot remember the full details does anyone on here know of any ghostly goings on at finningley that could put me out of my misery?

FuntimeSteve
06-03-2008, 23:57
Lost Pilot

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: Seen walking along the east / west runway of this former fighter base, the ghostly figure wears a pilot's uniform dating back to the Second World War.

Anyone know any further information on this or heard any stories relating to it? im just curious as that runway isn't to far away from where im sitting now haha

Dave-exfairy
07-03-2008, 00:45
Have heard of footsteps running down the corridor of 41 RIC at Colt.
The corner of 6 Sqn's hangar at Colt, by the Boss's office was always very odd and i've experienced what I could only describe as ack ack gun fire when walking from my car to Aitken Block with my then g/f, hear several bangs and saw lights in the sky, this was at 2 or 3 am.
Some years later we were living together on an old RAF/USAF base, Sculthorpe, my ex told me of seeing a man walking down the street wearing she described as "something like your old number one's", I also experienced seeing shadows out of the corner of my eye in our bungalow and woke up one night to see a figure at the bottom of our bed, told it to "get the fcuk out of my house".

kidcock
07-03-2008, 01:12
Another - anyone at Bruggen in the late 80's who remembers the incident when the Cpl was at a navaid building on the airfield and saw a headless man in full 50's flying kit? There must be a plod out there who does - you lot wouldn't go anywhere near the place unless there was a fill IRF team!

I lived at Bruggen as a scaley brat 1979-1981 and the headless pilot tales were rife then.

dunwaitin
07-03-2008, 22:20
i have experienced lots of thingd but also have lots of nurding stories that go bump in the night.
if you want the willies ( as it were, then let me know!)

Dave-exfairy
07-03-2008, 22:27
i have experienced lots of thingd but also have lots of nurding stories that go bump in the night.
if you want the willies ( as it were, then let me know!)

I'd like to hear your spooky stories, but you can keep your willies to yourself thank you!!!

he_who_dares_rodney
08-03-2008, 10:42
Lost Pilot

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: Seen walking along the east / west runway of this former fighter base, the ghostly figure wears a pilot's uniform dating back to the Second World War.

Anyone know any further information on this or heard any stories relating to it? im just curious as that runway isn't to far away from where im sitting now haha

He was known as "Pete The Pole" when I was there in 95- 96
A few people have reported seeing a WW2 pilot in flying kit in the blocks
IIRC it was believed he was a member of 303 Sqn who crashed his shot up Spitfire either into a buliding or spot of land where one of the barrack blocks are now
There are tales of him sitting on peoples beds and looking in lockers and stuff again this is attributed to the facts ( I don't know if these are 100% true but this is what was said) that thats were dispersal and the locker rooms were
A cartographer who saw him drew what he saw and some one identified the pilot from the drawing
Apperantly if you do see him just talk to him and he'll wander off
It was said that he didn't realise he was dead which I suppose is quite sad
Say hello from me if he turns up

:PDT_Xtremez_43:

Parky
09-03-2008, 04:02
There is also a ghost seen wondering around St Athen near where the MT & stores are. My Uncle ,also a chief, reckoned it was the Ghost of a AEF pilot who crashed his Chipmunk

I actually did a couple of flights as a Spacey with that Pilot.

OK over at Innsworth back in 92 was on My first nights Guard not long made up to SAC, I was on my 2 hours off/QRF in the guard room when i heard a shout on the radio saying someone was seen moving in the back of the Supply hanger. Anyways out of all the QRF and the 2 blokes on patrol only 2 of us were prepared to go and do a full search of the darker areas of the building which turned up Nothing. however lights were witnessed being turned on and off while we were all stood outside.

And i always had a bad feeling when walking about the PMC building at night, normally i could walk a corridor in the dark anywhere but not in PMC.

I was brought up in a funeral home and am not really bothered by spooks or the paranormal.

Inevertouchedit
09-03-2008, 09:22

I used to fnuckin hate going up there on swing shift, I'd do the fastest BF's in the History of the Harrier Force.

Spot -On Rikster. I never went there on my own.

My mate was on Teas & Keys one night, he drove up in his car to lock-up (on his own !!), however when he drove away all the Pan lights came on again.

Numerous stories of spooky things in that HAS.

SupportiveCivvy
09-03-2008, 11:35
Do any Goaters get strong feelings of deja vu first time on a new station or in an aircraft they haven't been in before?

Four reasons for asking as I experienced a very strong sense on each of these occasions. As a teenager on an air experience flight in an Anson CCMk19 - which shows how old I am. Next was going inside the Memorial Flight Lancaster for the first time and which connects with the following two. The first time in the Petwood Hotel knowing that I had been there before and seeing what was left of Woodhall Spa. No feelings of fear just some trepidation and a very definite "been here before" feeling of belonging. I don't have an overly active imagination (could sometimes do with one,) I'm inclined to be a cynic and think tv ghost programmes are a sham but I can't put an explanation on the foregoing.

In the past I have thought it was just my brain and its workings (!) but reading this thread has made me ask the question.

Parky
09-03-2008, 21:41
Do any Goaters get strong feelings of deja vu first time on a new station or in an aircraft they haven't been in before?

Four reasons for asking as I experienced a very strong sense on each of these occasions. As a teenager on an air experience flight in an Anson CCMk19 - which shows how old I am. Next was going inside the Memorial Flight Lancaster for the first time and which connects with the following two. The first time in the Petwood Hotel knowing that I had been there before and seeing what was left of Woodhall Spa. No feelings of fear just some trepidation and a very definite "been here before" feeling of belonging. I don't have an overly active imagination (could sometimes do with one,) I'm inclined to be a cynic and think tv ghost programmes are a sham but I can't put an explanation on the foregoing.

In the past I have thought it was just my brain and its workings (!) but reading this thread has made me ask the question.

I have had Deja Vu on a number of occasions very strong feelings of having been there before even though i blatantly hadn't T3 at Locking was the strongest feeling of it i remember.

Deja Vu has since been explained to me as the Brain taking what you are seeing and storing it back amongst your memories in your long term memory and this then instils the feeling that what you are looking at you have seen before.

FuntimeSteve
09-03-2008, 22:16
He was known as "Pete The Pole" when I was there in 95- 96
A few people have reported seeing a WW2 pilot in flying kit in the blocks
IIRC it was believed he was a member of 303 Sqn who crashed his shot up Spitfire either into a buliding or spot of land where one of the barrack blocks are now
There are tales of him sitting on peoples beds and looking in lockers and stuff again this is attributed to the facts ( I don't know if these are 100% true but this is what was said) that thats were dispersal and the locker rooms were
A cartographer who saw him drew what he saw and some one identified the pilot from the drawing
Apperantly if you do see him just talk to him and he'll wander off
It was said that he didn't realise he was dead which I suppose is quite sad
Say hello from me if he turns up

:PDT_Xtremez_43:

I mentioned it in the office the other day and realised i had heard the story about it before. When i was a spacey i stayed here in 02 and 03 in the actual block in question. The only night activity we had then was when we staged a commando raid in dpms (cos we were sad like that) on the other squadron that was staying with us, but thats another story.

The blocks im in now are built in an H shape as are all the others on the base apart from that block which is missing the middle bit of the H out, which is where 'Pete the Pole' crashed his, i heard Hurricane but it could have been a Spit.

Apparently one room in the block gets a lot of activity with a number of people being woken up in the night, but theres one guy who doesnt mind it and hes the only guy that will stay in that room. Rather him than me!

MontyPlumbs
09-03-2008, 22:28
Is it the block closest to the pan Steve? Looking at Google Earth atm and that block looks like it's missing a corner

Cake or Death
09-03-2008, 23:00
The first one mentioned (the Lincoln Bomber), was later revealed by local TV to have been a hoax, set up by two of the local Volunteers.
During its run, the story (and the tape) were positively identified as being the starting sequence switches.

But it made a good story -both times

I have been in that lincoln when i was at tossford the first time and i have to say there was something unsettleing about being in there. and thats before i knew that it was supposedly haunted! If i had known i had have never climbed in! Apparently mechanics in that hangar have seen even been assisted by an unknown person who just vanishes.

Shugster
09-03-2008, 23:19
He was known as "Pete The Pole" when I was there in 95- 96...
...Apperantly if you do see him just talk to him and he'll wander off...

Talk to him! What would I say?

"Hello, I've just shat myself can you point me in the direction of the abloutions?"
:PDT_Xtremez_35:

If I ever saw a ghost for real, I'd be too busy doing the 1 minute mile to stop and have a chat.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Shugster
09-03-2008, 23:20

My mate was on Teas & Keys one night, he drove up in his car to lock-up (on his own !!), however when he drove away all the Pan lights came on again.

When were you there then?

Shugster
09-03-2008, 23:22
....I was brought up in a funeral home and am not really bothered by spooks or the paranormal.

Cool! Is it just like the series 6 feet under?
I did like that series btw.

Shugster
09-03-2008, 23:29

Actually I did go round the back of HAS 21 with an armourer while a lecky chief was in there...

We started kicking the hell out of the blast doors, and when we ran round the front again he was walking very quickly back towards rects.

Yes, I would have legged it too!:raf:

Parky
09-03-2008, 23:30
Cool! Is it just like the series 6 feet under?
I did like that series btw.
It was a strange arrangement, my Grandfather was an engineer by trade but turned to funeral directing so the garage that had the fleet in also had a pit and a couple of cars in various stages of repair, he would come up the garden path with swarfega upto his elbows with his shirt and trousers under his overalls that he would greet the family of the departed in.

chickens ducks and geese in the back garden a dog in the family room barking its head off parrot squaking its brains out, us kids arguing (When not playing hide and seek in coffins) and all this going on while my grandad was pumping air into the old organ playing hymns in the front room (Chapel of rest) while the grieveing family were saying thier farewells on the night before a funeral.

Shugster
09-03-2008, 23:36
It was a strange arrangement, my Grandfather was an engineer by trade but turned to funeral directing so the garage that had the fleet in also had a pit and a couple of cars in various stages of repair, he would come up the garden path with swarfega upto his elbows with his shirt and trousers under his overalls that he would greet the family of the departed in.

chickens ducks and geese in the back garden a dog in the family room barking its head off parrot squaking its brains out, us kids arguing (When not playing hide and seek in coffins) and all this going on while my grandad was pumping air into the old organ playing hymns in the front room (Chapel of rest) while the grieveing family were saying thier farewells on the night before a funeral.

Blimey that sounds odd! And I'm pi55ed and it STILL sounds odd!

I take it this was more than a few years ago?:PDT_Xtremez_15:

So when you grew up in such an enviroment, what made you pick the mob?

FuntimeSteve
10-03-2008, 00:04
Is it the block closest to the pan Steve? Looking at Google Earth atm and that block looks like it's missing a corner

The block is due east of the two hangers on the northside. Its not far from the pan, about 100 yards or so, thinking with my tired brain here. Theres a road heading south to the east of the hangar, the blocks on the other side of it.

Parky
10-03-2008, 02:09
The block is due east of the two hangers on the northside. Its not far from the pan, about 100 yards or so, thinking with my tired brain here. Theres a road heading south to the east of the hangar, the blocks on the other side of it.

Yup thats the one next to the Mess

Shugster
10-03-2008, 09:13
Hey Rickster,

Were you in the cellar in BB 38 at Gutersloh the day when we had an unofficial Beer call?

It was a really windy day. We were all in there when someone says, "I know, why don't we do an Ouiga board?"

At that very second the windows blew open a ton of dead leaves blew in and the door slammed shut.

After a few very quiet seconds someone says, "Yeah, maybe not".

If the light had gone out too I would have definately needed new underwear.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

That cellar was also somewhere I wasn't keen on going in to...

stingray888
10-03-2008, 13:54
Every airfield I ever served on reputedly had a ghost of a WW2 pilot/navigator wandering round asking the way to ATC. Must have been squadrons of them.
I never did see one myself.
A mate of mine was in the Fire Service at Marham in the early 70s and they were requested to look after the ashes of a former Fire WO who had requested them to be scattered on the airfield after his death.
The guys in the section however started to play around with these ashes, chucking them at each other and using the urn as an ashtray.
That night all hell broke loose in the crash bays with banging, crashing etc. My mate insists that all the fire personal were accounted for as no one would leave the bedroom.
When they got up the next morning equipment was all over the floor in the bays and some of the hoses had been tied in tight knots.

True? Probably not but its a good story to frighten the young lads with.
I would be interested to hear from anyone on the Fire Section at Marham at that time.

Andrew
10-03-2008, 14:41
When i lived in tidworth (dad was based there) we were told of the story about a dead drummer, who would wonder the streets of tidworth. If you heard him drumming you were going to die. So the story went.

Doubt this was true though.

Andrew

Rikster
10-03-2008, 17:00
Hey Rickster,

Were you in the cellar in BB 38 at Gutersloh the day when we had an unofficial Beer call?

It was a really windy day. We were all in there when someone says, "I know, why don't we do an Ouiga board?"

At that very second the windows blew open a ton of dead leaves blew in and the door slammed shut.

After a few very quiet seconds someone says, "Yeah, maybe not".

If the light had gone out too I would have definately needed new underwear.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

That cellar was also somewhere I wasn't keen on going in to...

YES almost filled my shorts!

Inevertouchedit
10-03-2008, 17:39
YES almost filled my shorts!

Before my time, i was there 84>87 and it was closed down then - No fire escapes !!

Rikster
10-03-2008, 17:43
Before my time, i was there 84>87 and it was closed down then - No fire escapes !!

BB38 Cellar bar was open in 1989-92, when this happened so it was after your time!

Inevertouchedit
10-03-2008, 19:02
BB38 Cellar bar was open in 1989-92, when this happened so it was after your time!

Smalley !! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Rikster
10-03-2008, 20:36
Smalley !! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

old git:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Stewie
10-01-2010, 12:02
Like someone said earlier, theres nothing like bringing and old thread back from the grave........ anyhoo, I was a doorslammer at kinloss from 77 - 80 and worked at the med centre for about 12 - 15 months, there where always references to 'George' everytime something went missing or was misplaced and later found somewhere unexpected, I never really paid much attention to it until one night me and the medic on duty where called out to a state 2 on a nimrod, thankfully it landed fine and we went back to the med centre, the medic went back to bed and I went up to the kitchen for a fag and a coffee, we had one of those old burco boiler things and when it bolied it used to rattle the cups on the sink, so once the rattling started I went and made a brew, the problem was it hadnt boiled, hadnt even warmed up cos it was switched off at the wall, the cups rattled again a short time later and I beat a hasty retreat, we used to get vibrations from when the aircraft took off but there were no movements that morning, I mentioned it in passing to another med centre driver and he claimed it was always happening to him.So a few months go by and its sunday tea time, its winter so the building is lit up and me and the medic are washing up after having some food, she asks me to go down to the main office and collect some cups and plates , I dont know if the med centres the same as it was but as you walked down the corridor from the kitchen there were some small wards and drivers crew room on the left then the back door, when you went beyond that there was a short corrridor with a door at either end, it was pitch black, when you went through the far door the treatment room was on the left, the pharmacy right in front of you and the office up to the right, for some reason I always felt uneasy about the treatment room and would always look to my left as I exited the short corridor, as I looked back to my right as I walked towards the offfice a figure walked right across my path and entered the treatment room, the only way I could describe it was looking like a human figure in a matt black wetsuit, the reception area was unlit but enough light was coming in from the main entrance to make thing out, I have never moved so fast in my life, I told the medic about it and she said it was probably 'George'. I didnt see it again but never ventured down that way at night without the light on again, anyone else heard of anything similar happeneing there ?

Teh Wal
10-01-2010, 17:56
Not so much a ghost story but heyho:

I was in EES out at Laarparts in the mid-80's. In our T-bar we had a rather lovely pinball machine called "SilverBall" (or something similar). It used to issue all sorts of electronic noises including some quite realistic 'voice' messages. Anyhoo, one night the coppers were doing their rounds long after EES had been locked up for the evening and just as one of them entered our T-bar he was greeted with a deep, threatening and very loud utterance of

"I am the Silver Knight and I challenge you... MWUHaHaHaHaHa".

By all accounts he nearly emptied his pistol into the pinball machine and his bowels into his undercrackers :PDT_Xtremez_19:

Odie
10-01-2010, 19:03
It was rumoured that HAS 24 on 17's old site at Bruggen was haunted - something about the HAS boss having been run over and killed in Roermond by numerous cars.
Whether it was or not it was always spooky going there alone at night. You couldn't see another part of the site from the front doors and the direction it faced always seemed to make the rear doors rumble in the wind. :PDT_Xtremez_42:

timbo_66
20-06-2010, 16:32
In quarters at Sealand in the early 1990's me and my wife woke up in the early hours seeing a little boy at the botom of the bed. The boy was about 5 or 6 years old. My wife jumped out of the bed and the boy left the bedroom, we could hear him walking down the stairs. My wife ran to the top of the stairs but he wasnt there, however we could still hear him going down the stairs. She came back to bed, completely freaked out.

A few days later we had the neighbours round for a barby and a few beers and we mentioned this. Next doors wifey said it was probably her twin brother (who died when they were 4 years old). She said it followed her about ever since. This wifey and her husband had been away for a few days when we saw the apparition, and the wifey reckoned that her dead brother hadn't realised that she wasn't at home and had come into our home to see if she was there.

She even showed us a photo of her brother and that was the little boy we had seen.

br9mp81
21-06-2010, 14:29
coningsby fire section 84ish,station locked up for the night all the crew in the dorm,bay door far right opens and closes,footsteps across the bay,thourgh a fire engine,sliding door opens at far left.
one of the 228 ocu lads on fire picket would move out of the dorm if woken by snoring and sleep on the armless chairs,i think he gave that up when he woke one night to see someone leaning over him to read the noticeboard in the dark.
also the comcen chicks commented on seeing a figure walk thourgh the section on occasions.which would be in line with the fire station at the time,dare say its all been rebuild by now.

tats
29-09-2010, 13:45
Have been thinking lately about ghost stories on units (night shifts do strange things to people) and wondered if anyone had any?

I know that there's an area of the bomb dump at Waddo that even the dogs refuse to go into.

Yes I like to creep myself out but am genuinely interested :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Threads merged. MC

Daisy
30-09-2010, 09:53
I'm led to believe there are ghostly goings on at RAF Shawbury in the Aries Club near the stage area? The cat that used to hang around there when I was there late 90s used to up and go at speed for no reason, followed by something along the lines of, oh yes, the stage is supposedly haunted! Don't suppose anyone knows of any stories about it?

Also, there are gravestones on the airfield at Lossie with skulls & crossbones on, so (not necessarily) but there must be a ghostly tale or 2?

Daisy

briggfairy
30-09-2010, 11:50
i heard the story of one of the chiefs at scampton a couple of years or so ago popped in on a saturday morning, it was winter so no flying going on and he brought his young son in with him. he was working away in rects control and he hears his son chattering away to someone he goes to investigate but finds his son in the corridor on his own. when asked who he was talking to his son replied "that man over there".

of course there was no-one there. they left pretty sharpish after that.

i still don't like locking up the corridor of offices on nights, get a feeling that things aren't quite right

kilo
19-02-2011, 23:59
Airfields at night can be spooky old places,and many have stories that have been passed down over the years.

When I was at Wittering in the very early sixties (139) the Glim lamp shed was supposed to be haunted, and over the years I heard lots of other stories of other "haunted" airfields, hangars and sections.

Anyone got any good stories for a dark night when the wind is moaning across the dispersals and round the tower and hangars?

kilo
20-02-2011, 00:02
Oops just noticed there are a number of similar threads, I will get the hang of things in a year or two.

Threads merged. MC

Inevertouchedit
20-02-2011, 17:01
http://www.strangedayz.co.uk/2009/06/ghosts-of-skirrid-mountain-inn.html

Stayed here once - Once !!

gemarriott
20-02-2011, 17:30
I've stayed here a couple of times and the food is brilliant.

http://www.cashtowninn.com/pages/gallery/ghosts/ghosts.html

erindoors
21-02-2011, 14:20
Raf Shawbury Aries Club definately has a ghost who walks between the top corridor in TTF, the Aries club particularly the stage area and the stairs upto the barbers and also in the coffee shop. Having worked in the Aries club i not only felt a presence but also witness shadows and saw an airman in WWII uniform standing on the stairs. TTF instuctors in an evening would hear footsteps above them. Coffee Shop staff heard footsteps and experienced cold draughts. one particular night myself and a co worker witnessed a chocolate bar fly off the shelves in the store room. Many more accounts also.

Inevertouchedit
21-02-2011, 14:37
Never one to "Diss" a good story, but you have to wonder about that TV programme called "Haunted Live" or something.

They've been on the air for 20+ years, they've been to every haunted spot in the UK with every conceivable recording and monitoring device known to man.

What have they seen? Nowt, nada, diddly-squat !! Apart from a few temperature fluctuations and a few glowing orbs.

extrembler
14-09-2011, 15:38
Apparently one of Brize,s VC10,s is haunted by the ghost of a flight eng who died on an atlantic crossing . There are stories of the cabin lights being on at night when no,one is on the kite and when checked the ground flight switch was off and nobody was found in the kite.

dkh51250
14-09-2011, 21:00
Waddo Raven Club. Ex used to work there in the 70s and would cover for the management couple whenever they were absent. We used to stay in the upstairs flat at the rear of the club. What used to to be the Tavern (Pigs) bar was always secured at both ends.

Despite this, there were numerous times when the bar was opened the following day, only to find that cigarettes had been moved from the rear of the bar to the counter, spirits had been swapped around with each other, or glasses moved to the counter from underneath it.

Constance (Raven) was a busy lady in those days. Is she still as active?

dkh51250
14-09-2011, 21:06
Sergeants Mess at Gatow, down in the cellars. Apparently when the Russians arrived at the end of WW2 they flooded the cellars after securing the entrances. This was done in the full knowledge that the Germans had taken refuge there. Not a place to go wandering on your own.

Obi Wan
14-09-2011, 21:25

Has 21 Again.........I Remember on nights (1980's) about 2 (ish) in the morning our Flt Sgt had been out for a stroll around the site, He came back into Rects Control Really ashen faced..........He saw what he thought was a RAFP (but wearing a great coat walking up to Has 21) as the said copper got near the has (Doors open & lights on) He Disaapeared Needless to say the Has was left well alone that night.

Inevertouchedit
15-09-2011, 06:02
Has 21 Again.........I Remember on nights (1980's) about 2 (ish) in the morning our Flt Sgt had been out for a stroll around the site, He came back into Rects Control Really ashen faced..........He saw what he thought was a RAFP (but wearing a great coat walking up to Has 21) as the said copper got near the has (Doors open & lights on) He Disaapeared Needless to say the Has was left well alone that night.

Al Cook and is enormous Walrus moustache ?

Kiwistacker
15-09-2011, 06:41
Mid to late 90's I was on nights in the WOC at Coningsby. There were three of us in the building, myself, the Chief Tech and someone in commcen. Quite late into the night a strong smell of perfume filled the room. The Chief hadn't moved (he rarely did until the free porn came on at midnight) so I phoned commcen and asked the girl in there if she had just applied perfume but she assured me she hadn't but she could also smell it. The building was locked from the inside and there was no way anyone could have come in or gone out without or knowledge. It wasn't scary just very strange.

spike7451
15-09-2011, 09:59
Back in the 1960's? in the bomb dump of a secret Scots Nimrod camp,the was a explosion in a torpedo handling building that killed the men working in there & the crater is still there (well,it was when I was an SAC dumpie back in 85.

Anyway,after the IRA attacked a couple of RAF & Army camp's in Germany,the threat level went up & armed patrols were started.
Myself & a fellow bombhead were tasked with patroling the area at the back of the ESA.

While we were walking past the blast area,we both got the feeling we were being watched & felt like we should get away from the area asap.Same thing happened the next night but I'd borroed a NVG scope from the Armoury & we couldn't see anyone or anything..On talking to other people who patrolled the same route,they too felt the same thing...

chief remf
15-09-2011, 12:15
My first ever gate guard the night before Live Aid and for some reason the SACs decided I would do the midnight checks. being an LAC I thought nothing of it and off I went with map and torch. Whilst looking for the cabinets on the top floor I could hear a piano being played and, being keen, went to investigate. I did every room I could get into, no piano, no sign of life. i got back to the guardroom and the FS asked why i had taken so long. Told him of the piano and all I got was 'aah......'

Was also told of the sound of a chair being dragged across the attic space in the WRAF block at Uxbridge with reference given to a number of WRAFs who commited suicide there. Never had to opportunity to check it out or put the willies up our lumpy jumpered friends.http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon11.png

Whilst at Northolt rumours were rife of the problems in AIDU being continually insecure. As Northolt was built on the plague pits from London this was credited being the problem. Any Air Carts care to comment?